History of the race:
2014 marks the 5th anniversary of this running event set in lovely Pennypack Park. The Half Sauer Half Kraut Half Marathon is an affordable and local race that raises funds HCM Foundation. This wonderful charity helps local cancer patients and their families.
Why am I running this race:
This half marathon is quickly becoming an annual event. Participating in a half marathon in a park where I routinely run piqued my attention a few years ago. Typically about a thousand runners take part in this event, lending a great small town feel to the race. The course set upon a paved bike path that winds its way along Pennypack creek. It is a scenic course but very, very challenging. Hills abound and then there is a mile of trail running aptly called Mt. Cuckoo. Despite the difficulties I keep coming back year after year.
What I wore: Team Philly tech shirt and 2nd skin running leggings from Lululemon.
What tech I wore: Garmin 910XT
My impressions: I had a niggling feeling the run was going to be challenging when I noticed rivulets of sweat trickling down my hairline BEFORE my wave started. Nearly blinded by sunscreen running into my eyes and two rest stops later, I was ever so happy to round the last turn and see the finish line. Sometimes I own this course and sometimes it owns me. This course does not get easier over time and that’s probably what draws me back every year. Sometimes running can get stale and you need courses like this to get your competitive juices flowing. This one will. Guaranteed. So, who’s with me for next year?
- The scenery is spectacular and the trees provide welcome shade.
- The start of the race is about 10 minutes from home. It is the only race where I don’t rise before dawn to get to the starting area.
- The runners are hands down the most supportive bunch of people. I have never seen this level of support in other running events. It is consistently so the three years I have participated in this race.
- Lovely support from local spectators and volunteers.
- The post race party at the Cannstatter Volkfestverein is fabulous!
- This course is not a PR course. The course includes several steep hills and about a mile of trail running that will slow your pace.
- The hills and Mt. Cuckoo are formidable. Just make this a long run and try to have fun while you are at it.
Runability rating: 5 – Will sign up next year. Hope to see you at the starting line.
- Hell no, never, ever, again!
- Unless crucial changes are made, then NO!
- Meh – If you have nothing better to do that day, then go for it.
- Will put this on my list for potential runs for next year.
- I’ve already signed up for next year.
12,385 total views, 1 views today